Monday, December 13, 2010

Make It Monday: Pretty Tulle Wreath


Happy (Make It) Monday!  Today’s project is a super simple, super pretty wreath (and we all know how much I love wreaths!) that you can easily make in time for Christmas day.


I first spotted this wreath over at Flamingo Toes, where she made a very cute black and pink version for Halloween.  What I love, love, LOVE most about this wreath is how versatile it is.  Inspired by a black tulle wreath for Halloween, I made a white tulle wreath for the winter holidays.  But I could see this made with pink tulle for Valentine’s Day, green tulle for St. Patty’s Day, red tulle for the 4th of July, gold tulle for Thanksgiving… you could even make one in your wedding colors, add a monogram, and use it as part of your wedding décor!

So, let’s get to it!

I should start by saying that I know I mentioned that this project was super simple, but I should probably add that it is time consuming, so make it for someone you really like.  I made mine for my sis in law, so it was time well spent. 

First, start off with a basic foam wreath base.  Mine was green foam and I purchased it at the dollar store.  I then wrapped an inexpensive white ribbon around the foam just so I’d have a white base to start with, without actually having to break out the spray paint.  Hot glue and pin the white ribbon in a few spots as you wrap the wreath, just to make sure it stays put. 

Then, start cutting your tulle.  I had a roll of 6” wide tulle that I found in the bridal section of my craft store, and I think(?) I used about 75 feet of the 100 foot long roll – more or less.  Cut pieces into 13” lengths.  You’ll need a lot of these.  Like, a LOT.  So just start cutting, and then keep cutting, and when you think you have enough, cut some more.

Then, start tying!  Tie each piece of tulle onto the wreath with a basic knot, spreading out the ends of the tulle as you go.  Continue tying the tulle onto the wreath, pushing the pieces together to fully cover the wreath form.

Eventually, after much cutting and tying, you’ll have a beauty like this:

 
I have to admit, I love the wreath just like this – it has a simple elegance that I adore.  But I wanted to make it extra special for the holidays, so I added three shimmering snowflake ornaments to it.  All I did was hot glue a small safety pin to the back of each snowflake ornament, and then stuck the pin right into the tulle.  This way, they can repositioned, or removed altogether.  You could use this same trick to add other holiday ornaments, a ribbon, a feather boa like at Flamingo Toes, or whatever else you’d like!

I love it so much that I’m considering making one for my very own!  If you want to make your own, but need a little more instruction, just click here to see the great tutorial provided by Flamingo Toes.


Cheers!
Betsey

2 comments:

  1. AND, you could add a sparkley blue Star of David on one, too! I love it, great job Bets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Betsey your wreath is so great!!! I love the white tulle and the snowflakes!!!
    Would you mind if I added it to the "you've made it" page on my blog? I'd love to show it off!!

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?