Thursday, October 21, 2010

Glamorous Ghouls?

It’s Party Time Thursday here at b.bar, where I share some super cute party ideas with you.  With Halloween a mere week away, it’s the perfect chance to show you my favorite Halloween trend this year, “ghoulish glam”.  As anyone who knows me will tell you, I am a huge fan of sparkle.  I don’t believe one can have too much sparkle.  In fact, I don’t even think there is such a thing as too much sparkle, which is exactly why I’m obsessed with this hot Halloween idea.

Instead of going for the usual orange and black party décor at your party this year, try an all black color palette, or even black and silver, and be sure to add some sparkle for a spooktacular twist on the traditional theme.  Check out how Ciao Bella took some ordinary pumpkins and turned them into a magnificent black and silver glittered pumpkin centerpiece here!

Simply Stated, a blog from RealSimple.com, posted about this trend a couple years back.  They show some stylish black items you can purchase to glam up your own ghoul fest, including my personal fave, the luxurious black feather boa.  Use a boa as a decorative garland on staircases, mantels and shelves, or to add sophistication to a centerpiece or food display.  You can find boas like this at your local craft store any time of year (be sure to search for coupons online before you go!) or at any of the Halloween shops you’ve seen popping up in your neighborhood lately.  Click here to see Simply Stated take on Gothic Glam!

For an uber-chic twist on your glam Halloween, consider mixing in touches of hot pink with the black.  I’m in. love. with. the fuchsia accents seen over at Hostess with the Mostess and Entertain Exchange.  Entertain Exchange uses a lot of items that you probably already have, or can pick up on the cheap at the big box stores (or craft stores, with your printed coupons), embellished with some inexpensive holiday items.  Hostess with the Mostess reveals some easy ways to incorporate the chic pink into your party décor without having to spend a lot of cash.  Click here to see the Ghoul’s Night Halloween Party at Hostess with the Mostess or the Glam Gothic Girls Night Out Party at Entertain Exchange.

On my most recent trip to the dollar store, I found these hideous skeleton heads.


 I wanted to see just how simple it would be to glam this guy up.  I started with a coat of glossy black spray paint and let dry for a half hour.  When I checked on it, it needed just a little more coverage, so I did a light second coat and let it dry another half hour.  He turned out very glossy!  Kind of Darth Vaderish… and if you like, you could just leave him like this, and he would be totally appropriate as glam décor.


But it’s not really my style to “leave it at that”, so I gathered up my black glitter and spray adhesive and went at it.  I sprayed the entire head with adhesive, then started sprinkling glitter onto it over a large bowl (to catch the excess glitter).  Once he was entirely coated in glitter, I patted it down with my hand just to make the glitter really stick to the adhesive.  Now he’s a scary, sparkling wonder!


Aside from drying time, turning this guy from hideous to glamorous only took about a half hour – so simple, which I love.

If you decide to use any of these ideas for your own bash, I’d love to see pictures!

betsey


3 comments:

  1. I would have never looked twice at that skull in the past (it really is hideous!) - but that will change now that I see how easy it is to change something from drab to fab! Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You made that skull look 1,000 times better!! I might just have to use this idea at our Halloween party this year!! Thanks for the great tips!! :) Can't wait to see what else you have up your sleeve!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want him in my house all year round!

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?