Thursday, November 11, 2010

Fall... Over?


I have a confession.  I am so over fall.  If it were up to me, I’d have the Christmas decorations out by now, but if my husband came home to ornaments and lights in early November, he would probably just fall… over.  It’s just that we don’t really have a traditional autumn season here in sunny Arizona, so the red and orange fall décor just seems kind of out of place.  Remember the easy-peasy autumn centerpiece from here?  Well, I officially realized I’m over fall when my silly hubby changed it from this:


To this:


And I didn’t even notice.  For days.  That’s when I knew that I was over. it. 

Thus began the hunt for something that, with a few simple changes, can transition from Halloween and Thanksgiving to Hanukkah and Christmas, and even on to New Year’s (we like holidays around here).  That’s a lot of different holidays to cover with one décor theme.  But, just think about this:  if you could have a basic theme to carry your home throughout the entire holiday season, imagine how easy that would be for you!  You could still host all your favorite holiday parties, but cut waaaay back on the time, energy and money you use to change out your décor for each separate holiday!

So, with that in mind, I’ve decided to start with a basic white palette, and go from there.  I’ve challenged myself to only make or buy things for my home that will fit into this new palette way of thinking.  And as I do, I’ll be sharing those ideas with you so that you can simplify your own party décor this season.

I’ll keep you posted!  And if you’ve already mastered the art of the “simplified holiday”, I’d love to hear about it!

Cheers!
betsey



1 comment:

  1. Betsey I SO LOVED this post. This is my favorite. So true and honest. We have a color pallete for our holidays also. This means for us that for our two big holidays (Halloween :) and Christmas) that our decorations are mosltly silver, grey, black and white. I add a touch of another color sometimes during christmas and sometimes a green or an orange poke in during halloween. Thanks for bringing this up now I am going to try it more on purpose also. I will try the quest with ya!
    -Jessica

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?