Monday, November 29, 2010

Make It Monday: Makeovers!


If you’re anything like me, you surely have at least a few items that always go back in the box when you unpack your holiday décor.  These are things that you’ve had forever, that look like they’ve seen better days, that don’t match what you have now, and they just seem better suited for decorating the inside of the holiday storage box than your home.

I’ve been accumulating a few of these things for a while now, and this year, in keeping with my “simplified holiday” theme first seen here, I decided it was time to give these things a makeover.  That’s right, it’s Makeover Day at b.bar!

First, I gathered up all the items in need of a new look.


Then I took to the garage for some spray paint magic.  I know I originally said I was keeping with a basic white palette, but my white spray paint was not covering at all the silver spray paint looked so pretty, that I decided silver was a nice accent to the white palette.

Just in case you’re new to the spray paint phenomenon, here are a few tips to keep in mind:

  1. I never always clean the items thoroughly before painting.
  2. Invest in a spray paint handle, available at most hardware shops.  It just snaps onto the can and will save your index finger from a great deal of pain, and will prevent paint from getting all over your hand.
  3. Shake the spray paint can excessively before using.  And when you think you’ve shaken it enough, turn it upside down and shake it some more.  And while you’re painting, it won’t hurt to pause every few minutes to shake it again.
  4. Spray in short, even strokes from side to side.  Remember that it’s better to do multiple thin coats then have drip marks from trying to do a coat that’s too heavy.
  5. If the nozzle clogs, turn the can upside down and spray until the stream becomes clear.  This should clear the inside of the nozzle, then just wipe the front of the nozzle with a cloth.
After all that, you can sit back and celebrate all your hard work as you admire your “brand new” stuff!  Everything now has a fresh, cohesive, sparkling look, and I can't wait to display my new holiday décor.


What are you making over this season?


Cheers!
Betsey




3 comments:

  1. it's so cute after you recreated it! Good job Miss Bets!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These turned out great! Isn't it amazing what you can do with paint?

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I am making over plate chargers. I took a silver plate charger and decorated the rim with silver gliter. Then I added small gliterry trees to one corner. - Jess

    ReplyDelete

what do you think?